I feel good

0

Written on 9:55 AM by gracefully discovering:


My job can be extremely emotionally draining at times. All day, I sit and listen to my students problems..some they can change and some they cannot; some that are self-inflicting and some that are inflicted upon them. Often times, I want to cry with them, smack them, or take them home to my home so that they are safe...but all of those are unprofessional and I have to keep my cool and do my very best to help them cope with their current situation.

Many times, I feel like a failure..because I can't do much to change their situation...when I really want to...but I have come to grips with that...and my job isn't to change their situation (and sometimes I am able to do that) but more to help them get through whatever they are dealing with and still be able to be successful at school.

Well this is a day where I was able to truly help a student get out of a situation that she has been in for almost 2 years. I was able to empower her and her family to make the necessary steps for overcoming this hurdle. This morning she came to me very excited and liberated...and she said "Miss, thank you so much...my life is going to be so much better..I feel so much better- like a heavy load was taken off of me." She hugged me so long and tight...and we both cried. Unprofessional...so what! I am so happy for her and am proud to know such a strong courageous young woman. Today, I feel good and this one incident has made all the other failed attempts worth it.

This is why I love my job! Changing lives one child at a time.
Photo taken from http://www.brenebrown.com/

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

No Comment

Post a Comment