Mr. President Barack Hussein Obama....I love it!

1

Written on 8:53 AM by gracefully discovering:

Sorry for the delay...I have been experiencing some Internet problems.

All day yesterday I was sitting here trying to figure out how I would write something on my experience in Washington, D.C for the Inaugural festivities. I thought about writing how wonderful the feeling was to be there; about how many people were there for one cause; about how cold it was; about how much walking we had to do; about someone getting hit by the train. But all I could think about were words like BLESSED, AMAZING, EXCITING and MISERABLE (because it was so freaking cold)

I remember being in second grade in 1990, and my teacher asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up. I said that I wanted to be a news reporter, another girl said said she wanted to a doctor, someone else said astronaut, and one boy said that he wanted to be the President. The teacher began to tell us all how we could be those things if we worked really hard- because after all we could be anything we wanted to be! But no one really believed that this boy could be the President. There wasn't a President that looked like us or came from our neighborhoods- so how could he really grow up to be the President of this "free" world. Now when teachers ask students what they want to be and they say President, they can really believe that they have a chance, because someone has paved the way for them. So many men and women paved the way for President Obama and now he is doing the same for our children.

I was reading in the newspaper and Chris Paul ( a basketball player) said that he is so excited about the positive impact that this is having on children. He said when he used to asks kids who they wanted to be like- they would say Michael Jordan, Kobe, and Lebron...now when he asks them, they say that they want to be like Barack Obama. Our kids don't just have athletes, actors, and rappers to look up to- they actually have a person that looks like them, a first lady that looks like their mama's and they believe that that too can be them one day.

So to describe my experience in DC...I will just say that I am so blessed and proud to be alive today where after hundreds of years after slavery, a Black man came be the President of the United States of America and live in the house that our ancestors built with their blood, sweat and tears. That after years of segregation, race riots, and the civil rights movement, people of all nationalities, skin colors and geographic locations can come together to support and celebrate a man named Barack Hussein Obama who happens to be Black. I am just really happy on the inside...and I will always be grateful to have experienced this wonderful time in history.

Here are a few pics from the trip.

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

1 Comment

  1. Anonymous |

    I was wondering how long you were going to hold out on me with you thoughtful insight ;) I am so incredibly grateful to have been there that weekend as well... especially sharing it with my ship and family!

     

Post a Comment