I AM.........a professional

7

Written on 9:13 AM by gracefully discovering:


IF ONE MORE PERSON COMES UP TO ME AND SAYS ONE MORE THING ABOUT MY HUSBAND BEING A LAWYER I AM GONNA SLAP THE HELL OUT OF THEM LIKE THEY WERE TRYING TO KILL MY PRECIOUS ATTORNEY AT LAW!!!!!!!
Okay, so maybe that was a little excessive but these past 2 weeks have been all about self control for me!
Don't get my wrong NO ONE is more proud of my husband than ME....but I am not a trophy wife nor did I MARRY A LAWYER!
You will not believe some of the comments that I hear from people...so i'll just tell you.
Here goes:
guy from church: so now that your husband is an attorney- does that make you an ATTORNEYIST?
my response: No, that makes him an attorney and me a Liscensed Master Social Worker
lady from church: Girl, you really grew up and married a lawyer! You know when we were little our mama's told us to grow up and marry a lawyer or a doctor... you really did it.
my response: your mama really told you to do that??
another lady from church: Hey, Sister Attorney at Law
my response: hey girl (but really im in my head like Craig's mama from Friday..the first one)
lunch lady at work: You married a lawyer?? BIIIIIIIIIIITCH! (in a joking way...even though I HATE that word)
my response: hahahaha...you're silly Ms. ____.
girl at work + 50 other random folks: How does it feel being a lawyers wife?
my response to ALL of them: It feels the same as being a law students wife.


I AM NOT A LAWYERS WIFE. I did not marry a lawyer! I married a Southern boy from Evans GA. who I met my freshman year of college-who went to NC A &T, worked at Abercrombie, sold his books one time to come and visit me in Chicago, went to law school, passed the bar and became an Attorney.
Am I insecure or is all of this bannanas?
Maybe i'm taking this too frickin personal but people are acting like i'm not a professional- like I JUST married a lawyer. Hello, I have a Masters degree and a license...AND i'm about to have my clinical license so that I can have my own private practice....but all they seem to understand is that i'm a lawyers trophy wife! Very insulting.
I guess the world really hasn't changed a lot...it's still very much so (in the words of James Brown RIP.) It's a Man's World!
I bet no one was coming up to him saying how does it feel to be married to a LMSW....or since she has a Masters in Social Work...does that make you a Licensed Master Social Workist.
HELL NO, THEY DID NOT!


This in no way has anything to do with my husband because I am very honored and proud to be the wife of a very hard-working, diligent, fun-loving, super smart, sexy, kind, thoughful, honest, compassionate, sexy BLACK MAN...but these tactless people who KEEP coming up to me asking me STUPID questions are getting on my last one. Hopefully all of this will die down after a while...but I doubt it!

Maybe I really need to get that Ph.D.....which brings me to my next post...but I need to get some work done now- I'll get that to ya lata.
~still discovering...........


If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

7 Comments

  1. Tickled Pink |

    Oh no...that would get to me to! They acting like u some stay at home wife or something that be in the kitchen all day or something...LOL

     
  2. Unknown |

    So, how does it feel to be married to a lawyer? huh? Good read

     
  3. Tickled Pink |

    The next time someone asks you
    "How does it feel to be married to a lawyer?" you should say "The same way it feels for him to be married to an LMSW...INCREDIBLE...anymore questions?"

    Dannie P

     
  4. LiveLaughLoveandDiet |

    they just don't know any better...

     
  5. RHDSCHLR |

    giiiiirl. now you know.
    first all, let me apologize for my momma! (smile) second, i was certainly lmbo@ "that's what yo mama told you?"!!! hilariously classic. third, don't half quote the late great JB: "...but it wouldn't be nothing without a woman or a girl."

    Now you know we've been SO endoctrinated by our white male patriarchal society (yes, I am going there) that marrying a lawyer... a BLACK male lawyer, who didn't become a crackhead or death row inmate, means you are at the tipity TOP of that talented tenth. Girl, you are supposed to go get some aprons and some footies and a good weave that won't sweat out when you making all that food in the kitchen. That's it.

    BUT. WE ALL know that you managed to marry Superman :) and he is a wonderful man of God... "He that findeth a wife, findeth a good thing and obtains FAVOR from the Lord." And that favor is reciprocated throughout YOUR covenant. At the end of the day, you and your husband do not address each other by all them letters at the end of yall names. It's just ashy elbows and sloppy kisses.

    Other people may mean well, or simply believe they are paying you a complement, but you do not have to justify yourself or disprove their misconceptions. Take it as a misguided congratulations and keep the party going.

    ... I wonder if Michelle Obama goes through this too?

     
  6. gracefully discovering: |

    Thanks ship!
    I agree...it probably is misguided and toatlly innocent...but to hear these comments (and those were only a few of the most ridiculous ones) is a tad bit frustrating. You're right..I don't have to prove myself to anyone!
    Thanks for putting it into perspective for me...love ya much!

     
  7. Anonymous |

    haha!!! yea thats what happens when u r associated with something that seems so GREAT and out of reach to other people. unfortunate, but true. people want to start asking about u and wondering what u up to when u get some money or married to potential money. nosey-butt people! ask them how it feels to be so nosey or whatever it is they do. and sad that they would think everybody is a gold digger. loving the blog! gives me something to do when i should be studying.

    CHEERS

     

Post a Comment